Have you heard the news? Fish oil is good for you! Oh, wait. You already knew? Are you taking any? You’re not? Why?
We’ve all heard it in the news and social media; fish oil (aka Omega-3 fat) is good for us. So, why are most of us not taking it on a daily basis? Probably because we really don’t know what it can do for us. After you read this article you’ll have a better understanding of what fish oil can do for you and why you should take it immediately…even if you’re already healthy!
- Reduce GUT INFLAMMATION: Inflammation leads to nearly every ailment our bodies endure throughout our lives. Everything from migraines and strokes to diabetes and cancer are greatly influenced and/or caused by inflammation….seriously, do you need any more info? Ok, here’s 10 more reasons to take fish oil…..
- Helps with hyperlipidemia, hypertriglyceridemia, coronary heart disease, cardiac arrhythmias, hypertension, stroke, and bipolar disorders (wow, that was a lot!)
- Turns ON Lipolytic (fat burning) genes and turns OFF Lipogenic (fat storing) genes
- Lowers CANCER Reactive Proteins (i.e. prostate cancer)
- Increases FAT as FUEL
- Decreases Bad Gut Bacteria
- Boosts Brain Function
- Maximize STRENGTH Gains
- Lowers STRESS levels by decreasing the amount of cortisol in your system (better nights sleep!)
- Promotes ANABOLISM (muscle building!)
- Helps PAIN Management (arthritis anyone?)
How much fish oil (Omega-3 fat) should I take? Depending on your current health and weight the amount of fish oil can vary. One recommended amount from Charles Poliquin, world-class strength coach and creator of BioPrint, is to take 1 to 1.5g of fish oil per 1% of body fat. For example, if you have 25% body fat then you should take 25g to 37g of fish oil every single day! Sounds like a lot and it is but if you’re consuming nuts, seeds, various vegetables, fish, organic beef, and chicken that have double-digit Omega-3 fat content then those grams are easier to reach.
Why SO much?! The typical American consumes at least 15x more Omega-6 fats than Omega-3s. There’s nothing wrong with having Omega-6 fat in our diet as long as it’s balanced out the and equal or greater amount of Omega-3 fat.
What fish oil (Omega-3) supplements do you recommend? The best forms of fish oil on the market are not found in stores, unfortunately. Most of what we find in stores are heat treated which results in less or poor quality Omega-3 fat. The two I recommend are Designs For Health® OmegAvail Ultra and Thorne® Krill Oil.
Blueprint Fitness currently carries OmegAvail Ultra so please contact us if you’re interested. Now, are you still going to skimp out on your Omega-3s? I didn’t think so!