The name sounds scary; Simple & Sinister (S&S). As the name implies the workout is simplistic (you only perform 2 exercises) but it’s a good ass kicker. Pavel Tsatsouline, the creator of S&S and the man who popularized kettlebell training in North America, created it for the specific purpose of preparing the body for anything life has to throw at it. On the road to completing the S&S program your body will be stronger, more durable, have less body fat, and you will have improved stamina. So let’s get to it, shall we?
- 1-Arm Kettlebell Swings (KBS)
- Kettlebell swings are a “ballistic” movement (fast and powerful). It can improve overall body power and strength. In addition, kettlebell swings are a great cardio exercise. You can do hundreds of reps in 1 workout and that can lead to fat loss and leaning out. Everything from grip strength, back strength, and hip power improve through basic, heavy kettlebell swings.
- Turkish Get Ups (TGU)
- The TGU is a “grinder” movement (slow, steady, and difficult). It can be used to improve shoulder mobility and strength while fixing your posture and alignment. Most of us have chronic pain and lack of proper range of motion. The TGU will work on these issues while making you stronger. In addition, your core strength will improve making other lifts stronger.
- KBS: Perform 10 sets of 10 reps per arm in 5 min.
- Men = 48kg (106lbs)
- Women = 32kg (71lbs)
- TGU: Perform 5 sets of 1 reps per arm in 10 min.
- Men = 48kg (106lbs)
- Women = 24kg (53lbs)
- Week 1: 5 sets of 10 KBS per arm THEN 5 sets of 1 TGU per arm
- Week 2: 6 sets of 10 KBS per arm THEN 5 sets of 2 TGU per arm
- Week 3: 7 sets of 10 KBS per arm THEN 5 sets of 3 TGU per arm
- Week 4: 8 sets of 10 KBS per arm THEN 5 sets of 4 TGU per arm
- Week 5: 9 sets of 10 KBS per arm THEN 5 sets of 5 TGU per arm
- Week 6: 10 sets of 10 KBS per arm THEN 5 sets of 5 TGU per arm
- Rest as much as you need to between sets. It’s not a race!
- Perform the Simple & Sinister program DAILY. Only take a day off if you feel like you need to rest.
- Start with a lighter weight. Most men should start with 24kg for KBS and 16kg for TGU. Most women should start with 16kg for KBS and 8kg for TGU. DROP THE EGO…..go even LIGHTER if the weight mentioned above is too much!
- Stay with the same weight for all sets and reps for the entire 6-week cycle. Once you complete week 6 then you may go up in weight.
- If you don’t want to drop your current routine you may add this routine to your workout schedule and perform it 2-3x week or just perform the sets and reps from week 1.
Stay FIT my friends!